CATEGORIES

Friday, 8 January 2010

reknit project number 2

Reknit project number 1 and 2 are closely related as material for both of them came from the same old sweater jacket. This was a found and lost jacket that was lying in the cupboard in a villa I once occupied. The owners had left the house full of stuff, they where off to the retirement home, so no time or energy for cleaning up. I was happy enough to move in as a house caretaker for a while for a very modest price. With the occupation came the care for all the stuff, and I went through it all to decide what to throw away and what to keep or sell. 

The sweater jacket was horrendous, but made out of a combination of beautiful handspun un-died sheep wool with pockets and detailing and accessories in brown tweed. I quickly decided that this yarn was suited for re-use. This is from before the time that I decided to record all these steps in more details, so I don't have a picture of that sweater-jacket.



The brown tweed was tricky because there wasn't really enough of it for anything. I worked a bit on a brown woolen jacket for my husband with tweed pockets etc, but it didn't really work out the way I wanted it. After having made several trials with needles and stitches I decided that the yarn worked the best in "patent" stitches. (not sure this is the right English word for the stitch) and then it suddenly came to me, and I decided to make a bodywarmer with little or no sleeves (not yarn enough) and then knitted in the horizontal direction.
    

I do admit that this was a rather complicated knitting piece, and I would be rather difficult for me to explain to anybody how I shaped it. But let me try; I created the surplus space in the shape by knitting rows stopping halfway, which is extremely tricky in "patent" as you work with slip-masks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...